Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Revenge of the Infernal Machine

Back on October 15, I posted a short video of a contraption I built and challenged you to guess what it was. Opinions included something "for Halloween," "a medieval torture device," "automatic dog skritcher," "newfangled sock dryer," "Gertie's toothbrush," and "editor motivator."

Jim, who wrote that "It's for Halloween. Exactly what, I do not know..." was half right, although I don't know how much credit he deserves since "Halloween" was one of the tags I put on the video. (You wouldn't cheat, would you Jim?) I think the two clips below, showing the next step in the process, will clarify everything.

If you take the contraption, paint it black, add styrofoam balls and tulle, and paint them fluorescent green, you get this:



Then you paint on black eyes, wait until dark, turn on a black light, and get this hard-to-photograph apparition:



You'll have to trust me that it looks better in person, and will look WAY better behind a bush and under a tree in my front yard on Halloween, where vaporous spirits have been known to erupt from the ground one night each year.

I trust no one thinks me less manly because I know what tulle is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I always love new Halloween contraptions!

Anonymous said...

Ooo...spooky! Very nice!
(We're gonna need a bigger front yard though!) ;p

Kidsis said...

I'm jealous! Glad I got to at least see the video!

Anonymous said...

It looks awesome, i gotta say i do love your house on Halloween.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was for Halloween because you were going to paint it black. October and black equals Halloween..Jim

Brian Fies said...

Well reasoned, Jim!