Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Meet Momo


This great statue of the Michael Ende character Momo arrived yesterday, my award for winning the German Youth Literature Prize for nonfiction, about which I blogged back on October 12 and 17. It really is a beautiful piece of work, depicting Momo standing on a round clock face with a tortoise named Cassiopeia at her feet and a "time lily" in her hands. I admit I haven't read the book--although very popular in Europe, it apparently only had a small U.S. printing 20 years ago--but I think I'll have to seek it out. Again, my genuine appreciation to everyone involved for the honor.

The sculpture is heavy bronze, with "Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis" inscribed on the front of the base and "2007" on the back. It's hard to get a sense of how truly impressive Momo is by herself, so I took a photo of her with ordinary, everyday objects found around my household to provide a sense of scale:


Please forgive me. I needed the picture anyway and couldn't resist.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian,
I agree that Momo looks so much more realistic between those beautiful objects.....
This is my first visit to your blog and web site, and I have to say that I am totally impressed.

bint alshamsa said...

If that's your everyday objects, then I shudder to think of what your really special ones look like!