Friday, October 27, 2006

CR Magazine

Several months ago I was contacted by people starting up a new magazine called CR, aimed at cancer patients, family members, and the professionals who help them. The CR Editorial Board says their mission is to "strengthen collaborations and communications among cancer survivors, patient advocates, physicians and scientists, with the goal of accelerating the prevention and cure of cancer." As I understand it, the idea is to distribute the magazine mostly through clinics, cancer libraries, and doctors' waiting rooms, where the people who need it can find it.

An excerpt from Mom's Cancer, accompanied by a little author's note I wrote, appeared in the fall issue just now out. I think it's great, and not only for the full-page, full-color treatment they graciously gave my work:


Click the image to see a big version (610 kB)

CR is 64 pages packed with solid news about cancer research and treatment, along with good practical advice and first-person accounts of dealing with cancer or helping someone who is. I know just enough about the magazine business to be very impressed with the quality of its writing and design, along with little things like their choice of paper and use of color. I hope it's a huge success for them.

See www.CRmagazine.org for more information about the magazine and the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) that publishes it. It's good people doing good work.

3 comments:

Mike Lynch said...

Great news. And a good eye-catching layout. I admire how succinctly you are able to write about your experience and the book and your Mom. It made me want to buy it, and I all ready got a copy.

Kidsis said...

This is great!!!!

Brian Fies said...

Thanks, Mike. If you want to buy another copy of my book, don't let me stop you.

Sis, CR sent me a bunch of copies; I'll send you one if you want.

It's a nice piece in a very worthwhile magazine. Made my week.